Easy Recipe: Chicken Fried Steak
What's better than fried chicken? Only Chicken Fried Steak, of course. Here's how to make it with just five ingredients.
Over in the US they love getting the tastiest of foods and sticking them in a deep fat fryer, so this week we’re taking a page from their oversized cookbook by bringing you a five ingredient recipe for Chicken Fried Steak. You might want to go for a jog afterwards.
Chicken Fried Steak
What you need:
180ml of vegetable oil
680g of round beef steaks
190g all-purpose flour
3 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons of water
2 cups of milk
What to do:
1. This tasty meal can be started by adding the oil to a large heavy bottomed (steady on!) frying pan and placing it over a medium heat.
2. Once this is done you can prepare the beef by punching the crap out of it for tenderising purposes... of course. Beat it with a cooking mallet (or your fists) until the steak is about 1/4-inch thick.
3. Put 150g of flour in a shallow dish and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over it, only if you like. Then, add the egg mixture to a second shallow dish, making sure to season with salt and pepper too. Plonk the steaks in the flour, shaking off any extra bits, then dip them in the egg mixture and back into the flour. Do this once or twice, or until the steaks are covered enough to your liking.
4. Once your oil has heated you can fry the steaks for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Take them out and put them on some pieces of kitchen roll, as this will dry off some of the excess oil that's on the steaks. Check one to see how well done it is and cook for another minute or two if necessary.
5. Add the remaining flour to the hot oil and mix it well, it could take about 3 minutes. Once the oil and flour have mixed, stir in the milk and keep stirring while bringing the mixture to the boil. Once it boils, turn the heat down and keep it low until your sauce becomes thicker. That might take another 5 or 6 minutes. Give it a taste and if you think it needs a little more milk then work away. This creamy sauce will go on top of your steaks along with a little bit of parsley - but we doubt you'll have any of that floating around the fridge.
And there you have it, tasty chicken fried steaks without much hassle.
Easygoing Tip: If you don't have steak... use chicken.