Pic of the day
Pic of the Day: The Spanish sure do like tomatoes
Our Pic of the Day comes to us all the way from Spain where yesterday saw the annual "world's largest food fight" get underway.
The image below shows just how damn messy things can get in Spain during the “world’s largest food fight”, or La Tomatina as it’s better known. The event takes place on the last Wednesday of August every year, during the week of festivities of Bunol, Valencia.
It is estimated that every year 40,000 tomato enthusiasts flock from all corners of the world to fight with tomatoes during this festival. Now, unlike Fight Club there are some rules to adhere to. They include:
1. The tomatoes have to be squashed before throwing to avoid injuries.
2. No other projectiles except tomatoes are allowed.
3. Participants have to give way to the truck and lorries.
4. The festival doesn't allow ripping off T-shirts.
5. After the second shot indicative of ending the tomato hurl, no tomatoes should be thrown.
It's good for the skin... apparently
So what do you think? Looks like fun, right? We should start something like it, but something that’s uniquely Irish.
Although, hurling potatoes at each other might get a bit out of hand.
Image via Getty