Irish footballer overcomes burnt nipple to play at the weekend
We’ve never heard of a footballer suffering a burnt nipple before but that injury befell Belfast native Adam Chapman on Friday night. He toughed it out to play for Oxford on Saturday though.
There is a long, and inglorious history of bizarre injuries and footballers. Dropping a salad cream bottle on your foot (Dave Beasant), reaching for a remote control (David James) and drilling your toe nail with a power drill (for more on Darius Vassell’s epic stupidity click here), we should never underestimate the ability for footballers to find innovative ways to miss a game.
But that is why we should applaud Adam Chapman for toughing out his bizarre injury at the weekend. As the proud dad of a baby, Chapman was on feeding duty on Friday night when he went to shake a bottle of scalding hot milk. Sadly for Chapman the lid wasn’t on properly.
"It went on my T-shirt and it was like a shock," Chapman told the BBC.
"I jumped up, ripped my T-shirt a little bit then then whipped it off my head. I was in shock in that first few seconds and then after 15 seconds the pain set in and it was unbelievable.
"I'll be honest, I was crying a little bit, tears were flowing down, I didn't know what to do. I was embarrassed, my missus was laughing at me."
Very nice from his other half there. Anyway, Chapman went to hospital where a badly burnt nipple was the diagnosis. But with a big game coming up at the next day, against Wycombe, Chapman toughed out his injury.
“It was only really stinging when the sweat went in it and it hurt when I was chesting the ball, but it wasn't too bad,” he added. What an inspiration to us all.