Dublin student critical after Halloween costume catches fire in Galway nightclub
A 21-year old NUIG student from Dublin is in a critical condition in hospital after his Halloween costume caught fire in a nightclub last night.
Matthew Sheridan and his friends had all donned Halloween costumes for a night out in Galway City last night, but disaster struck when his costume caught fire sometime around midnight in Halo nightclub, located on Abbeygate Street in Galway City.
According to the Galway Bay FM website, Sheridan has been transferred to St. James’ Hospital in Dublin and remains in a critical condition having allegedly suffered burns to 80 per cent of his body.
Gardai in Galway have questioned several people in relation to the incident, which occurred on yet another Halloween night where Gardai and the emergency services had to deal with a number of cases of injury and public disorder throughout the country.
NUI Galway said in a statement that the school faculty and the wider university community were shocked to learn of the tragic circumstances of Sheridan’s injuries and that ongoing support services are also being made available to support Matthew’s classmates at this stressful time.