Connacht CEO bemoans 'lack of respect' in search for new coach
Connacht CEO Tom Sears has hit out at those who have breached the confidentiality process as they search for Eric Elwood’s successor and believes it is history repeating itself at the Sportsground.
By Declan Whooley
Though not long in the job, Sears has had a busy start to his new role. Last month he was heavily critical of Leinster’s part in the transferring of lock Mike McCarthy to the European champions and now he has spoken out about individuals who have gone public with comments in their recruitment of a new manager.
Sean Holley disclosed this week that he had turned down the job, one of six men believed to have made the short-list for the position. His refusal, cited for personal circumstances, has seen Pat Lam installed as favourite, but Sears believes that it is important to keep the process private until a successor is announced.
"Right from the outset, we said we would respect the confidentiality of the process, and it’s unfortunate that other people haven’t,” he said.
"I am frustrated by people not respecting the confidentiality. If someone wants to go to the press bleating about why didn’t they get the job, why didn’t they get an interview, that’s their issue, but for the respect of the position and the integrity of the process, that’s what we are going to stick to."
The club announced this week that it had extended the contracts of George Naoupu, Kieran Marmion, Jason Harris-Wright and Eoin McKeon, while Sears has said the club is committed to bringing in world class talent to the Sportsground.
“We are being aggressive and ambitious in the recruitment process both in Ireland and overseas as well. We are looking to retain our own players and bring top classes internationals in next season — including a replacement for Mike McCarthy,” he added.
Connacht travel to The Stoop on Saturday to take on the in-form Harlequins in what will be arguably their sternest test of the season.