Recipe of the week: Sausage Pizza
You could be forgiven for thinking that Weight Watchers meals may seem overly healthy and not too much fun. How wrong you are. How about a sausage pizza?
This meal should dispel notions that some may have about meals for those on a diet. This meal will keep your grease craving at bay, and who doesn’t like pizza?
So listen up, pay attention and help yourself to a meal you would not have associated with a Weight Watchers meal.
8 ProPoints values per serving
32 ProPoints values per recipe
Takes 30 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes cooking
What you need:
- 1 x 145g pizza base mix
- Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, for dusting
- 175ml (6 fl oz) passata
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 reduced fat pork sausages
- 150g (5 ½ oz) light mozzarella cheese, drained and torn into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A small handful of fresh basil leaves, to garnish
What to do:
- Prepare the pizza base by following the packet instructions. Spray a 25 x 35 cm (10x14 inch) baking tray with the cooking spray and dust with a little flour. Roll out the pizza dough thinly on a lightly floured work surface to a 30 x 23 cm (12x9 inch) rectangle. Transfer to the baking tray and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7/220°C/ fan oven 200°C. Mix together the passata, oregano, tomato puree and chilli flakes, if using. Spoon the sauce over the base in a thin layer, leaving a 1 cm (1/2 inch) gap around the edge.
- Squeeze the sausage meat out of their skins and make into 28 marble sized balls and arrange them on top of the pizza, followed by the mozzarella and seasoning. Don’t worry about how many you get, 28 is just a rough guide. It’s not like we will see the finished article. Spray the top of the pizza with the cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes until the base is golden and crisp. Garnish with the basil leaves and cut into four. Serve immediately.
Swap pork sausages with four vegetarian sausages, sliced thinly, for 7 ProPoints values per serving. Depending on your audience it may work better. If you are feeding half the local GAA or rugby team, stick to the pork sausages.
For more delicious Weight Watchers meals, simply click here.
While you're here...
Follow on Instagram by clicking here or ON THE GIGANTIC PIC BELOW!
Go on, you know you want to...
Read more about: