More and more people keep donating
Two separate fundraisers, for the carer and the Deliveroo driver who were involved in stopping the shocking Dublin knife attack, have raised more than €600,000 between them.
The money, which was raised in the wake of the horrific attack, will reportedly go directly to Deliveroo driver Caio Benicio, Creche worker Leanne Flynn, and the victims of the attack.
Benicio, a 43-year-old delivery driver from Brazil, was on the street when the attack took place on November 23.
He stepped in to subdue the attacker with his helmet and has since detailed his experience.
Somebody started a GoFundMe called 'Buy Caio Benicio a pint'
Caio Benicio is the Brazilian man who stopped the stabbing attack on Parnell Square yesterday – the appeal has raised €22,000 so far, and counting https://t.co/edHzE3mNTp
— Conor Lally (@conormlally) November 24, 2023
Brazilian Deliveroo driver speaks about how he stopped Parnell Street attacker.
“I didn’t even make a decision, it was pure instinct, and it was all over in seconds,” Benicio told The Journal.
“He fell to the ground, I didn’t see where the knife went, and other people stepped in.”
Benicio, who came to Ireland for work after his restaurant burned down in Brazil, said that he used his helmet as a weapon to disarm the attacker.
“I have two kids myself, so I had to do something. I did what anyone would do.
“People were there, but they couldn’t step in because he was armed. But I knew I could use my helmet as a weapon.”
A fundraiser to “buy a pint” for Benicio has raised more then €360,000 at the time of writing.
Another fundraiser has emerged for Leanne Flynn, the carer who used her body as a shield to protect the three small children who were attacked.
This fundraiser has since raised more than €250,000.
In response, organisers of the fundraiser wrote: “We have been absolutely overwhelmed by the support and kindness we have received thus far, so thank you all so much for your donations.
“We have increased the goal so that we can continue to raise as much as possible for those affected by this horrific incident.
“Rest assured we will keep the fundraiser updated and will share exactly where the funds are going. Please continue to support in any way you can, and thank you all again you are helping more than you can ever imagine… Thank you so much.”
A five-year-old child injured in the attack remains in critical condition after being stabbed randomly by a man in his 40s.
Two other children involved in the stabbing have since been discharged from hospital.
- Kearney was everything good about Dublin, on a night of national embarrassment
- Bus and Luas set on fire amid unrest in Dublin city centre
- Taoiseach issues statement on suspected Dublin city stabbing that left three children injured