Tom Holland says he, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield have a group chat called The Spider Boys
By Steve Hopkins
"We really are like brothers."
Spider-Man trio Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire have a special group chat so they can all keep in touch.
Holland, who has played the role seven times, says the leading men have stayed connected since they all played Peter Parker together in the 2021 multiverse flick Spider-Man: No Way Home.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Holland revealed: “We have this amazing bond as three people who have been through something that is so unique that we really are like brothers.”
“We have a great group chat and we catch up every now and then. It’s called the Spider-Boys.”
Holland said the Spider-Boys’ last interaction was when he asked Garfield, 39, and Garfield, 47, to sign a movie poster to be auctioned off during his family charity Brothers Trust’s gala trivia night back in February.
“They were obviously happy to oblige,” Holland added.
The Crowded Room producer-star said “it was wonderful” filming their top secret scenes in Jon Watts’ acclaimed superhero threequel, which amassed $1.922 billion globally off of a $200 million budget.
Holland was especially relieved to finally have an in-depth discussion with Garfield, whom he regrets never calling when he succeeded him as Peter Parker in 2016.
You wanted more Spidey and you got it! 🕷🕷🕷 #SpiderManNoWayHome: The More Fun Stuff Version swings into movie theaters in the US and Canada September 2! More countries to be announced soon! pic.twitter.com/4Ux3AwdpfO
— Spider-Man: No Way Home (@SpiderManMovie) June 11, 2022
“That’s because of my naivete as a kid… I just wish I’d called him," Holland explained.
“I was 19 when I got cast. I was so caught up in getting the role that I never took any time to think about what it must have been like for him.”
The former child star also said he has been “a little apprehensive” while sitting in meetings for the next Spider-Man film with producers and Marvel execs.
“The first few meetings were about, ‘Why would we do this again?’ And I think we found the reason why. I’m really, really happy with where we’re at in terms of the creative,” Holland said.
“But I’m also a little apprehensive about it. There’s a bit of a stigma about the fourth one in all franchises. I feel like we hit a home run with our first franchise and there’s a part of me that wants to walk away with my head held high and pass the baton to the next lucky kid that gets to bring this character to life.”
Holland currently executive produces and stars in the psychological thriller series The Crowded Room, which is streaming on Apple TV+.
- Ranking the new Black Mirror episodes from worst to best
- The makers of The Flash discuss why it took decades to bring the hero to the big screen
- The makers of The Flash describe Michael Keaton's first day back as Batman
- Netflix has just added a very tense thriller series to its library
- Disney shuffles around movie release date calendar - impacting Avatar, Marvel and Star Wars films
- Netflix has just added one of the funniest movies of the last few years
- One of the best hidden gem shows ever has returned to Netflix
- Oscar winner Morgan Freeman stops by popular Dublin pub during Ireland visit
- Transformers movie producer says the franchise could come to Ireland