Vin Diesel hints that Fast and Furious finale will be a three-parter
By Callum Boyle
This would mark a change to the previously confirmed plans for the franchise.
This would mark a change to the previously confirmed plans that the tenth entry (if you disregard spin-off Hobbs and Shaw) would be the first part of a two-film conclusion to the series.
Diesel, who plays street racer Dominic Toretto in the franchise, claimed at the new movie's world premiere in Rome that the executives at Universal Studios are considering going out with an even lengthier bang.
In a clip posted by Fandango, the action star said:
“Without tipping the hat too much, I can say this: Going into making this movie, the studio had asked if this could be a two-parter and after the studio saw this Part 1, they said, ‘Could you make Fast X, the finale, a trilogy?'”
His co-star Michelle Rodriguez then added that Fast X was "three acts in a story".
However, when the reporter interviewing the pair tried to get official confirmation of a trilogy finale, Diesel jokingly walked away, stating: “You’re going to get me in trouble here.”
Universal is yet to confirm the news itself. You can watch the clip of Diesel and Rodriguez right here:
WATCH: On the red carpet in Rome, Italy, did Vin Diesel just confirm that #FastX is the first part of a... trilogy?! Whoa! It all begins in theaters a week from today. Ready, set... go get your tickets!
🚘🎟's —> https://t.co/jO68lUJ5h6 pic.twitter.com/2DiJsYkgUz
— Fandango (@Fandango) May 12, 2023
Meanwhile, Fast X will pay tribute to the late Paul Walker, who played Toretto's best friend in the series Brian O'Connor, by featuring his daughter Meadow.
She was only 15 when her dad died in a car accident. Having grown up on the sets of the franchise, Meadow stated that she wanted a cameo role in the new film as a way to pay tribute to her father.
Sharing a behind-the-scenes image on her Instagram, the 24-year-old wrote: “The first Fast was released when I was one year old! I grew up watching my father, Vin, Jordana, Michelle, Chris and more on the monitors. Thanks to my dad, I was born into a fast family.
“I am so blessed to be able to honour my father’s legacy and share this with him forever.”
Fast X will be released in cinemas in the UK and Ireland on 19 May. You can check out the movie's trailer below:
- Netflix reveals first look at spin-off to one of its biggest movies ever
- Titles and plot details revealed for Black Mirror Season 6 episodes
- One of the best movies of 2023 so far has just been added to Prime Video
- One of 2023's best shows finally has an Irish release date
- Silo is the best new show on TV right now
- We now have an Irish release date for the return of one of the best shows on TV
- A surprising Nicolas Cage movie is getting an out-of-nowhere sequel
- Colm Meaney on his next film being like 'an Irish Avengers'
- Andrew Scott on the pressure of playing one of literature's great villains