Additional batches of water recalled from Irish stores over contamination fears 9 months ago

Additional batches of water recalled from Irish stores over contamination fears

Be advised.

Following on from an initial recall of a number of batches of Celtic Pure bottled water earlier this week, a new related notice has been issued.

On Wednesday (23 October), the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) announced the recall of additional batches of Celtic Pure bottled water as sold in Applegreen stores.

The recall is due to the presence of a number of harmful bacteria, namely Pseudomonas aeruginosa, E. coli or Enterococci.

The specific product affected refers to two litre bottles of still water with a best before date of 20 March, 2021 and a batch code of BN 263.

"The FSAI has been notified of the above additional batch of Applegreen bottled still water bottled by Celtic Pure in which Pseudomonas aeruginosa was detected," notes an FSAI statement.

"This batch does not comply with the legal requirements. This implicated batch is unsafe or potentially unsafe and is subject to recall."

The FSAI notes that Pseudomonas aeruginosa rarely causes illness in healthy individuals, though it poses a higher risk of complications if consumed by severely immunocompromised people such as those who have undergone transplants or chemotherapy.

"The presence of E. coli or Enterococci in water is considered an indicator that the water has been contaminated with faecal material however this does not mean it will make people sick," the FSAI statement continues.

Consumers are advised not to drink the implicated bottled water products.

Retailers are requested to remove the specific batch from sale. Retailers are also advised to display a point-of-sale recall notice in stores where the batch has been sold.

Meanwhile, a water notice affecting 600,000 people throughout the country is currently in place.

Speaking on RTÉ Morning Ireland on Wednesday, Yvonne Harris, Customer Strategy Manager with Irish Water, shed some light on the situation, saying that the problem was caused by "a small mechanical failure" within the plant and that it was corrected within a number of hours.

Harris said that the notice will remain in place for a day or so and that an update will be released when more information is available.