Emergency services called after man gets stuck in a chimney
The man has passed away.
A man that was stuck inside a chimney in England has passed away.
The man was trapped inside Dixon's Chimney in Carlisle, Cumbria. The police were originally alerted to the situation just after 2.20am on Monday, 28 October.
A rescue operation was launched but after hours of effort, the man's body was recovered but he was confirmed as deceased.
Paramedics said that the man was in his 50s. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Dixons chimney - Our thoughts and thoughts of all emergency services and partners are with the family. pic.twitter.com/nNC9RQtTP8
— Cumbria Police (@Cumbriapolice) October 28, 2019
The chimney is 80 feet in the air and the man was recovered after a 90-metre cherry picker was used to assist in the recovery.
Previous efforts to retrieve the man involved drones, a helicopter, and dropping a rescue team onto the chimney. However, they all proved to be futile.
Police officers are currently assisting the man's family.
An investigation has also been launched into the circumstances of how and why the man was on the chimney.
Images via Cumbria Police