Another devastating tragedy on Irish roads as young girl dies in collision
The dreadful news follows two horrific crashes in Tipperary, and another in Donegal, in recent days.
An Garda Síochána press office has confirmed the tragic death of a three-year-old girl in a residential estate in Portlaoise, Co. Laois.
'Gardaí are currently at the scene of a fatal road traffic collision that occurred this afternoon, Wednesday August 30th, at approximately 1.15pm,' the statement begins.
'The collision, which involved a car and a pedestrian, occurred on Cosby Avenue in the Fairgreen residential area of Portlaoise, Co. Laois. An infant girl (3 years old) was seriously injured during the collision. She was taken to Midland Regional Hospital, Portlaoise where she was later pronounced deceased.
'The scene of the incident on Cosby Avenue is currently preserved for a technical examination by Garda Forensic Collision Investigators.
'Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed this collision to contact them. Any road users or pedestrians who may have camera footage (including dash-cam), and who were in the Fairgreen area of Portlaoise this afternoon between 12.45pm and 1.30pm, is asked to make this footage available to Gardaí.
'Anyone with any information is asked to contact Portlaoise Garda Station on 057 867 4100, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.'
So far this year there have been 114 fatal road traffic collisions in Ireland.
These have resulted in the death of 124 people:
Please be safe on Irish roads. pic.twitter.com/YLiFTziX93
— An Garda Síochána (@GardaTraffic) August 30, 2023
*Images courtesy of Rolling News
- Grandparents and three-year-old grandchild killed in crash in Tipperary
- Funeral details announced for fourth victim of tragic Tipperary crash
- Thousands gather at vigil for Clonmel car accident victims
- Clonmel crash victims achieved "excellent results" in Leaving Cert as schools pay tribute
- The four young people killed in Tipperary Leaving Cert crash have been named
- Four young people killed in 'nightmare' crash on way to Leaving Cert party