Liverpool bomb: Taxi driver "locked bomber inside car" after spotting explosives (Report) 1 year ago

Liverpool bomb: Taxi driver "locked bomber inside car" after spotting explosives (Report)

The taxi driver is being hailed as a hero as a result of his actions.

A taxi driver, who is now being hailed as a hero, reportedly locked a suspicious passenger in his car after spotting an explosive as the car pulled up outside Liverpool Women's Hospital on Sunday.


A taxi carrying a passenger pulled up to the hospital around 11am on Sunday (14 November), as a two minutes' silence was due to begin for Remembrance Sunday. The taxi then exploded.

Clip via ITV News

The unknown passenger was declared dead at the scene. Counter-Terrorism police have confirmed three men have been arrested as a result.

It has since been reported that taxi driver David Perry allegedly leapt from his taxi after "noticing the passenger wearing a device".


Though the explosion occurred at the hospital, the male passenger reportedly asked to be dropped off at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral less than a mile away, where 1,200 military personnel, veterans and families of fallen soldiers had gathered for Remembrance Sunday.

A friend of Perry's told the Mail Online that the taxi was not able to get to the service as the "roads were blocked off".

The source continued: "David noticed the man had some kind of light attached to his clothing and was messing around with it, it didn't look right at all.

"I don't know how he's done it with a split second's thought but David's jumped out and locked the car with this guy in the back. As soon as he did, it's gone off. David's the luckiest man in Britain as well as the most heroic, if this guy got in the hospital God knows what could have happened."


Another friend said: "David suffered cuts and bruises, a perforated ear drum and needed stitches in his ear. He'll be sore in the morning but he's home. I'm just glad no new babies were leaving at the time. For David to have probably been terrified and think so fast and then end up OK – it's amazing."

While one person was confirmed dead at the scene, Perry was taken into hospital to be treated for severe yet not life-threatening injuries and, according to The Mail Online, he has since been released.

A fundraiser has been launched for Perry and his family and has already raised over £10,000 at the time of writing.