Man in his 50s arrested in Carlow in connection with murder of teenager Conor O'Brien 9 months ago

Man in his 50s arrested in Carlow in connection with murder of teenager Conor O'Brien

The man was initially arrested in possession of a handgun in Carlow Town on Tuesday.

A man aged in his 50s has been arrested in connection with the murder of Meath teenager Conor O'Brien.

Advertisement

The man was initially arrested on Tuesday evening in Carlow in possession of a handgun and continues to be detained at Carlow Garda Station under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act, 1939.

He is now formally being detained for offences connected with the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Conor O’Brien in Enfield on the evening of Thursday, 26 August.

The body of O'Brien was discovered with a fatal gunshot injury outside a domestic residence in Enfield on Friday morning, 27 August.

O’Brien's body was discovered at the rear of the premises.

Advertisement

Gardaí sealed off the scene, which was the subject of a forensic examination by the Garda Technical Bureau. It remains sealed off at this time.

The remains of O’Brien were examined at the scene by the Chief State Pathologist Linda Mulligan before being removed to Our Lady's Hospital in Navan, where a post mortem was conducted on Saturday morning.

As well as a murder investigation commencing, a senior investigating officer has been appointed and an incident room has been established at Trim Garda Station assisted by the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

O'Brien was originally from Gorey in Wexford and had been residing in Enfield for a number of months in a self-contained apartment at the rear of the main residence, which is owned by a family relative.

Advertisement

"A family liaison officer has been appointed to the O'Brien family, and An Garda Síochána continues to support the family as they deal with this tragic incident. An Garda Síochána appeals for privacy for the family at this time," a Garda spokesperson said.

"Investigations to date have determined that Conor was in contact with a family relative at approximately 8pm on the evening of Thursday, 26 August.

"Investigations have also determined that a number of persons heard a single ‘bang’ on the evening of Thursday, 26 August."

Shortly after 10pm on Tuesday Gardaí responded to reports of an incident at a premises in Carlow Town.

Advertisement

The man aged in his 50s found to be in possession of a firearm was then arrested by Gardaí at the scene.

The firearm has been removed for ballistic examination and investigation into the incident is ongoing.

Gardaí have said that no further information is available at this time.

Gardaí are appealing to any person that was on the Trim Road in Enfield (R159) at or close to its junction with the Main Street Enfield area between 8pm on Thursday, 26 August and 7am on Friday, 27 August to make contact with the investigating Gardaí.

They have also appealed for any person driving or cycling on the Trim Road or its junction with the Main Street Enfield area between the same times, who may have either vehicle dashcam footage or any other video footage, to come forward.

Advertisement

As well, any person with any information on the fatal shooting of O’Brien is urged to contact investigating Gardaí.

Those with information can contact Trim Garda Station on 046 9481540, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda Station.