Micheál Martin "shocked" as two Gardaí shot in incident in Blanchardstown 4 weeks ago

Micheál Martin "shocked" as two Gardaí shot in incident in Blanchardstown

A man who is known to Gardaí was arrested at the scene.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that he is "shocked" and "concerned" after two Gardaí were shot in an incident in Blanchardstown on Tuesday night.


Shortly after 7pm on Tuesday, Gardaí were alerted to an incident reporting that gunshots had been heard in the vicinity of Whitechapel Grove in Blanchardstown in Dublin.

Plain clothes and uniformed Gardaí, supported by Armed Support Units, responded to the scene.

An armed plain-clothes unit at the scene came under fire.  The Garda members took cover behind a patrol car and an exchange of firearms occurred between the male and the armed detectives.

The patrol car was struck a number of times by bullets. Both male detective Gardaí, aged in their 30s, received gunshot wounds to the foot and one also received a non-fatal hand-wound.

"I was shocked and deeply concerned to learn that two Gardaí were injured in the course of their duties this evening," the Taoiseach said in a statement on Tuesday.

"I wish both Gardaí a swift and full recovery, and I thank them for their service on behalf of the public."

The Garda Commissioner Drew Harris also commended the Gardaí for their "bravery".


"I want to commend all the Gardaí involved in securing a successful outcome to this firearms incident. In particular, the bravery of the two detectives who were first on the scene," he said.

"This was another in a long line of examples of Gardaí putting themselves on the line to keep people safe. I want to wish them a speedy recovery.

Investigating Gardaí at Blanchardstown Garda Station would appeal to any person with any information in relation to this incident to contact the investigation team at Blanchardstown Garda Station at 01 6667000 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 66 111.

Responding Garda Units sealed off the area around the house in Whitechapel Grove shortly after 7pm on Tuesday.

Both inner cordons of Armed Support Unit personnel and an outer cordon of uniform and plain clothes Gardaí were established.


A number of houses in the area were evacuated for the safety of the occupants.

An Garda Síochána put in place a Critical Fireman’s Incident response and an Operational Commander was appointed; supported by resources from National Negotiators Unit, Emergency Response Unit, and Armed Support Units.

An extended barricade incident developed and, following intensive negotiations, shortly after 9.30pm, two firearms, an automatic pistol and a handgun were surrendered from the house. Both firearms and ammunition have been recovered.

A short time later, a male in his late 30s was arrested at the scene and is currently detained at Blanchardstown Garda Station under section 30 Offences Against the State Act 1939.


Both injured Garda detectives are currently receiving medical treatment at Connolly Memorial Hospital for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds.

Gardaí at Blanchardstown continue to investigate all the circumstances of the incident.

As the incident involved the discharge of official Garda firearms, the incident has also been referred to the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission.