Ministers "sickened" over "abusive" calls made to Dr Tony Holohan and Dr Ronan Glynn 2 months ago

Ministers "sickened" over "abusive" calls made to Dr Tony Holohan and Dr Ronan Glynn

"It is absolutely appalling that public health doctors advising Government would be targeted with abuse for doing their jobs in the middle of a pandemic."

A number of government ministers have said they were "sickened" to hear about "abusive" phone calls made to Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Tony Holohan and Deputy CMO Dr Ronan Glynn.

Advertisement

The Sunday Independent reported that both of the public health doctors had received calls to their homes on Friday night, with a Garda spokesperson confirming to JOE on Sunday that "a number of reports of menacing phone calls" had been reported and would be "fully investigated".

Following the reports, Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly said that the calls were "absoloutely appalling", adding that both Dr Holohan and Dr Glynn deserve "respect and support".

"It is absolutely appalling that public health doctors advising Government would be targeted with abuse for doing their jobs in the middle of a pandemic," he said.

"They have worked relentlessly throughout Covid and have difficult jobs to do. They deserve our respect and support."

Meanwhile, Minister for Higher Education, Simon Harris said that he was "sickened" at the "abusive" phone calls.

"Our public health officials have been working around the clock for well over a year now to keep us safe and provide us with the best possible expert advice," he said.

"Sickened to hear of abusive calls being directed at them and their families."

Advertisement

A Garda spokesperson told JOE on Sunday: “An Garda Síochána does not comment on named individuals; however, a number of reports of menacing phone calls have been reported to An Garda Síochána and these matters will be fully investigated.

“It is not appropriate to comment further at this time.”