Search icon

News

16th Jun 2024

Search for missing Rose of Tralee contestant stood down after body found

Simon Kelly

Rose of Tralee New Zealand

“There are many tears.”

The search for Rose of Tralee contestant Monica Reid has been stood down following the locating of a body.

The 26-year-old Auckland Rose took part in this year’s New Zealand competition, which picks a representative for the Irish festival in August.

Ms Reid went missing from Te Atatū in West Auckland on Friday, June 14, with police in the area confirming that her body was found on Sunday.

“Her death is not being treated suspicious and will be referred to the coroner,” a police statement said. “Police extend our sympathies to the woman’s family and loved ones.”

Search for missing Rose of Tralee contestant stood down after body found

A large-scale search operation was launched by police on Saturday, which included the use of a helicopter, a boat, divers and search and rescue volunteers.

A temporary base at the Waitematā Rowing Club had been established.

In a statement on X, Monica’s brother Francis said, “The search for Monica is over & she has been found, but not in the way any of us wanted.

“Thank you for all the kindness. The police and everyone involved in the search were amazing.

“Monica was such a source of joy to so many people. There are many tears.”

Her cousin, Gabriel, also posted on X saying: “A tragic conclusion to the search for Monica. My thoughts and prayers are with her parents and siblings.

“The outpouring of community support has been a great comfort over the past few days.

“Sincere thanks to all who engaged in searches, shared posts and expressed concern.”

Read more:

LISTEN: You Must Be Jokin’ with Aideen McQueen – Faith healers, Coolock craic and Gigging as Gaeilge