PICS: Cork firefighter gives rabbit caught in gorse fire a drink from a water bottle
One of the best images of the year so far...
Cork firefighters were faced with tackling a massive gorse fire in the county on Monday, which they managed to eventually get under control.
Much of the affected area in the Gougane Barra valley, Co Cork has been turned into a blackened landscape following the fire.
Last smoldering fire!
All is good and safe in the valley again! pic.twitter.com/bpS338gjWR
— Gougane Barra Hotel (@gouganebarra) April 24, 2017
Fire crews from Bantry, Macroom, Dunmanway and Skibereen attended the blaze on Monday which devastated wildlife in the area.
Tom Collins, an officer with Skibbereen fire brigade, shared pictures of himself, captured by his colleague Adrian Collins, giving a very dehydrated rabbit a drink from a water bottle in what is one of our favourite images of the year.
"This little rabbit came over to us yesterday at a West Cork gorse fire for a wash down and well-needed drink of water," Tom said.