Evidence of people reducing social contacts, according to Eamon Ryan
The Government will look to the public's overall behaviour before making a decision on potential further restrictions.
Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan has said there is evidence to indicate that people throughout Ireland have begun to cut back on social activities and reduce their own contacts amidst the current Covid-19 surge.
Speaking to RTÉ News on Tuesday morning, Ryan said that there has been a visible response from the public following last week's implementation of new restrictions to combat the spread of the virus.
As of Monday, 684 patients are hospitalised in relation to Covid-19, of which 126 are in ICU.
5,634 new cases of the virus were confirmed by the Department of Health on Tuesday.
"A lot of people have reacted to the decisions last week," said Ryan.
"A lot of people have cancelled events and have held back so actually I think that was a signal to the country that a lot of people have taken up. We are reducing our socialisation, reducing our contacts.
"I think we said at the time and I think it's good medical science; wait three weeks to see what exactly is the consequence of that – quite a significant change that occurred last week in the country."
As for the prospect of additional restrictions being introduced, the minister is adopting a 'wait and see' approach.
"Everyone knows it," said Ryan, referring to the overall situation in the country right now.
"Right across the board, people [are] just slightly restricting their movements.
"So, I'd prefer to wait and see the consequences of that and then we'll make further decisions."
Featured Image via Sasko Lazarov / RollingNews.ie