William Friedkin, one of Hollywood's greatest directors, dead at 87
The Chicago native is renowned for directing some of Hollywood's most iconic films.
William Friedkin, director of cinematic classics such as The Exorcist and the French Connection, has died at the age of 87.
According to Variety, the Chicago native's death was confirmed by Chapman University dean Stephen Galloway, who is a friend of Friedkin’s wife, Sherry Lansing. He passed away in Los Angeles, on Monday.
Friedkin directed some absolute classics, such as The Exorcist, French Connection and To Live And Die in L.A.
William Friedkin learned his trade under Alfred Hitchcock
Back in 1965, when he was directing an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, the legendary British suspense king admonished him for not being smartly dressed, on set, nor wearing a tie.
Friedkin's first feature movie was 'Good Times', in 1967, but his biggest early hit was The French Connection, a gritty cop drama starring Gene Hackman as 'Popeye Doyle'. The Exorcist followed in 1973. He won an Oscar for directing French Connection and was nominated for that supernatural horror, which starred Ellen Burstyn and Max von Sydow.
Other films of note from his career were Crusing (1980), Blue Chips (1994), Rules of Engagement (2000) and the 2011 film, Killer Joe that starred Matthew McConaughey.
Now established as the final film of Willian Friedkin, The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, which stars Kiefer Sutherland, is set to premiere at the Venice Film Festival, later this month.
That movie stars Kiefer Sutherland and Lance Reddick, of The Wire fame, who himself passed away in March of this year.
- Lioness is the best show you're not watching right now
- The 25 best movies of the last 25 years have been revealed
- QUIZ: How well do you remember the biggest movies of 2018?
- The cancelled Batman film was reportedly "f**king awesome"
- Netflix has just added 12 big movies to its library
- 2023's funniest movie has just very quietly landed in cinemas
- Tarantino could be giving us a Pulp Fiction reunion for his final movie
- Why everyone is talking about Sound Of Freedom and when it arrives here
- The 25 best TV shows of the last 25 years have been revealed