After taking a day off, Peter Casey has decided he's still running for President
Peter Casey took a break from his campaign for approximately one day.
Businessman Casey, who is polling at 2%, had a torrid week last week after making multiple offensive comments about the Travelling community and facing criticism from each of his fellow candidates.
On Friday, Casey had said he was "taking the weekend off to think carefully about whether to continue in the race".
On Sunday afternoon, Casey confirmed that decided that yes, yes he was.
In an "open letter" sent to various media outlets, Casey said that his experiences over the past one day had inspired him to keep going.
In the letter, Casey said he received "literally thousands of texts, emails and phone calls" pleading with him to remain in the race.
In the subject line, the statement is described as an "open letter" but as of 4:20pm, the letter has not yet been published on his public Twitter page. When it is, you can read it in full there. We won't be publishing it, because it's not the job of news organisations to reprint campaigning documents sent to us by candidates.
Casey is currently polling at last place as election day looms. The public will vote for the next president on Friday 26 October.