Conor McGregor signs 'historic contract' to fight Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago

Conor McGregor signs 'historic contract' to fight Floyd Mayweather

It might actually be happening.

Conor McGregor has confirmed that he has come to an agreement to fight Floyd Mayweather.

Advertisement

Speaking exclusively to The Mac Life, McGregor confirmed that a deal had been struck.

“It is an honour to sign this record breaking deal alongside my partners Zuffa LLC, The Ultimate Fighting Championship and Paradigm Sports Management,” McGregor said.

“The first, and most important part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.”

Over the weekend, Dana White said that an agreement with McGregor was expected to be reached and, on Wednesday night, he confirmed this.

White spoke to basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal during the TNT post-game show when attending the NBA Eastern Conference Finals between Boston Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers and O'Neal asked if the fight was going ahead.

“McGregor’s side is done, I’m starting to work on the Mayweather side now,” White said.

“I got one side done, now it’s time to work on the other. If we can come to a deal with [Al] Haymon and Mayweather, the fight’s going to happen.”

Advertisement

White also confirmed that it would be a boxing fight if it is to go ahead.

“It’s going to be straight up boxing,” he said.

Renowned MMA reporter Ariel Helwani took to Twitter to elaborate on the breaking news.

He stressed that although Mayweather has not agreed terms yet, this is a significant step.

Advertisement

Mayweather has not fought since September 2015, when he defeated Andre Berto, and McGregor has not stepped inside the octagon since he claimed the lightweight title after a spectacular win over Eddie Alvarez last November.