Mason Greenwood releases statement as he leaves Manchester United
"I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven."
Mason Greenwood has released a statement following the announcement that the player will not return to Manchester United.
The club announced on Monday afternoon that the 21-year-old had "mutually agreed" to leave the club following intense speculation over whether he would return.
In his statement, Greenwood said that the decision was part of a "collaborative process" between Manchester United, himself and his family.
The full statement reads:
"I want to start by saying I understand that people will judge me because of what they have seen and heard on social media, and I know people will think the worst. I was brought up to know that violence or abuse in any relationship is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges.
"However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post. I am learning to understand my responsibilities to set a good example as a professional footballer, and I’m focused on the big responsibility of being a father, as well as a good partner.
"Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me. The best decision for us all, is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club. I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.
"I am enormously grateful to my family and all my loved ones for their support, and it is now for me to repay the trust those around me have shown. I intend to be a better footballer, but most importantly a good father, a better person, and to use my talents in a positive way on and off the pitch."
Manchester United and Mason Greenwood "mutually agree" to part ways.
The decision comes after a week of speculation about the decision being made by Manchester United.
Last Wednesday (August 16), the club released a statement confirming that the findings of their investigation were complete and an update was imminent. However, it said that it was still in the “final stages” of making a decision.
On the same day, The Athletic reported that United chief executive Richard Arnold had previously informed club staff of his plan to sanction Greenwood's return, which prompted huge backlash on social media.
Richard Arnold also weighed in on the decision today with the following statement:
“When audio footage and imagery was posted online in January 2022, my feelings were of shock and concern for the alleged victim. Her welfare, wishes and perspective have been central to the club’s approach ever since, as have the club’s standards and values. While we immediately concluded that Mason should be suspended pending investigation, we were also conscious of our duty of care towards him.
“While I am satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with, Mason’s accepted that he has made mistakes which he takes responsibility for. I am also mindful of the challenge that Mason would face rebuilding his career and raising a baby together with his partner in the harsh spotlight of Manchester United. Further, this case has provoked strong opinions, and it is my responsibility to minimise any distraction to the unity we are seeking within the club.”
- Man United considering dropping Greenwood from squad due to fan backlash
- Gary Neville rips into Casemiro after Man United's narrow win over Wolves
- "This is not on the owners" Jamie Carragher gives interesting take on Liverpool's transfer mess
- Graeme Souness refuses to back down over his Casemiro claim