Roy Keane makes quip about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish after England lose player to Germany
"It's good that England have been given a taste of their own medicine."
Roy Keane joked that England have been given a taste of their own medicine after losing out on Jamal Musiala to Germany.
Keane referred to Declan Rice and Jack Grealish, two England players who represented the Republic of Ireland before switching allegiance back to the country of their birth.
Ahead of the World Cup match between Germany and Japan, ITV did a profile of Germany player Musiala.
The Bayern Munich midfielder was born in Germany before moving to England as a child. The 19-year-old also played for Chelsea and played for the Three Lions at underage level, from Under-15s up to Under-21s.
Musiala, however, opted to represent Germany, the country of his birth. The midfielder had the potential to be a key player for England, and the ITV pundits Karen Carney and Ian Wright were lamenting that he switched allegiance.
Yet, Keane, wasn't as sympathetic.
"It's nice to see that England have been given a taste of their own medicine," Keane joked. "Rice, Grealish, don't get me started on that!"
"But obviously, it's not easy, when a player makes that decision, you have to respect it."
"Nice to see England get a taste of their own medicine... they've took players: Rice, Grealish" 😬
Don't get Roy started on that one 😅#ITVFootball | #FIFAWorldCup pic.twitter.com/jJ0waAfNy8
— ITV Football (@itvfootball) November 23, 2022
Keane was Ireland assistant manager when Grealish switched allegiance to England, the country of his birth, after playing for Ireland at underage level.
The Cork man was also part of the set-up when Rice played three times for the Ireland senior team before switching to England.
- Graeme Souness goes out of his way to remind British viewers of Irish treatment live on ITV
- "Look at Di Maria. My God." - Roy Keane visibly disgusted by Argentina's performance
- Roy Keane and Ian Wright go at each other over Ronaldo's Man United exit.
While you're here, why not give some of our World Cup quizzes a try?
- The FootballJOE Qatar World Cup 2022 Geography Quiz.
- SportsJOE's World Cup Quiz: Brazil 2014.
- Teammates XI Quiz: Italy - 2006 World Cup Final.
- QUIZ: Name the all-time leading scorers from each 2022 World Cup country.
- QUIZ: Name the 2018 World Cup Goalscorers