Prince Philip let out another slightly racist off-the-cuff gaffe today...
Queeny's husband, Prince Philip, was on an official hospital visit today when he showed us that his infamous wit is still alive and well... and still a little bit racist.
The 91-year-old Duke of Edinburgh might be declining in health as of late, but he’s still the same old Philip with the same sense of humour. After unveiling a £5.5m cardiac centre at the Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Philip turned to a Filipino nurse and said: “The Philippines must be half empty - you’re all here running the NHS.”
It’s thought to be the first recorded gaffe of the year from awl Philip, but health permitting it won’t be the last.
Here’s a look at five of his most notorious gaffes (we had to stick with five, otherwise we’d be here all day):
1) 'You could do with losing a little bit of weight.' Philip was speaking to a 13-year-old boy whose dream it was to travel into space. Emphasis on the ‘was’.
2) "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test." Philip said this while speaking to a Scottish driving instructor.
3) After accepting a conservation award in Thailand in 1991, Philip said: “Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species.”
4) Speaking last year to a woman in red: “I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress.”
5) To the black politician Lord Taylor of Warwick back in 1999: “And what exotic part of the world do you come from?”