Suarez to Madrid surfaces again, Chelsea nobble Willian deal and the ‘leave Rooney alone’ letter 8 years ago

Suarez to Madrid surfaces again, Chelsea nobble Willian deal and the ‘leave Rooney alone’ letter

The deal we all thought was dead is back in the news, Roman Abramovich calls in a favour and Manchester United send a ‘back off’ letter to Stamford Bridge.

Like Michael Corleone, Silvio Dante and erm, George Costanza, just when we thought we were out on the Suarez deal, they pull us back in.

Advertisement

With Arsene Wenger ending his interest we thought the Uruguayan was definitely staying at Anfield and we could put that particular transfer saga to bed. But last night, Brendan Rodgers spoke to the Guardian and told them that he expects Real Madrid to bid again for the striker before the end of the window.

However, Rodgers went on to say that any offer from Real would be resisted before adding: “There might have been a point a few months ago where there was time to do it but with 11 days to go it would be difficult to replace him." Hmmm.

By the way, if you see a ‘Suarez signs for Barca’ headline, don’t be fooled as the Sun report that Manchester City have sold midfielder Denis Suarez to the Catalans for £8m.

Advertisement

In that same Guardian interview, Rodgers also spoke about his bid for Willian, saying that Liverpool couldn’t match the money offered by others. We reckon AVB knows that feeling this morning.

The Spurs boss thought he had the Brazilian midfielder in the bag, and he even had a medical at White Hart Lane earlier this week. But it seems that the Anzhi player has been pulled from under his nose by Roman Abramovich.

The Mirror report (speculate might be a better word) that the Chelsea owner rang Anzhi’s Russian oligarch owner Suleyman Kerimov and made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Spurs ain’t happy, with the Mail reporting that Daniel Levy is so cross, he’s willing to cancel Gareth Bale’s move to Real Madrid. We don’t believe that for a minute and the Indo reckon the Bale deal will be all tied up by the weekend.

The other back page splash is in the Sun, who claim that new Manchester United head honcho Edward Woodward sent a letter to Chelsea asking them to back off in their pursuit of Wayne Rooney. Nice try Ed, but we think you can expect a nice juicy offer in your inbox as soon as the final whistle goes on Monday night. Chelsea are ethical like that, just ask AVB.

Advertisement

Elsewhere, Arsene Wenger is after Karim Benzema, Angel Di Maria, Yohan Cabaye and Geoffrey Kondogbia before the end of the window, says the Mirror, the Mail report that Marouane Fellaini wants out of Everton now before his price goes even higher next summer and Benfica are the latest team to try and get Julio Cesar from QPR (Sun).

Finally, everyone’s favourite ex-Liverpool player, Momo Sissoko is not on his way to Cardiff after a deal fell through for the PSG man.

FAI NIVEA LOGO