Dublin Marathon cancelled for second year in a row
"We know the cancellation is incredibly disappointing news, and we want to thank you for your continued support."
The KBC Dublin Marathon has been cancelled for a second year in a row due to what organisers said were "too many unknowns".
The event was also cancelled in 2020 as it fell victim to the Covid-19 pandemic, which halted a large number of sporting fixtures and events around the world.
Last month, organisers of the marathon delayed making a final decision on the event as they engaged with relevant stakeholders, but on Wednesday, 7 July, it was confirmed it would not go ahead.
It's with a heavy heart that we are cancelling the 2021 KBC Dublin Marathon. We know this is incredibly disappointing news but we have a duty of care to everyone involved in our event. On behalf of the team, we'd like to thank you for your continued support #RunYourTown pic.twitter.com/lQcGdwC5PZ
— Irish Life Dublin Marathon (@dublinmarathon) July 7, 2021
"It is with great regret that we are cancelling the KBC Dublin Marathon for the second year in a row," organisers said in a statement.
"Despite vigorous evaluations, there are still too many unknowns to be confident that we could provide a safe event given the pure scale of the marathon; 26.2 miles with 25,000 runners and 200,000 supporters who line the streets to cheer them on."
It's confirmed that all entries into the KBC Dublin Marathon will be valid for next year's event.
However, full refunds are available if you don't want this option and can be claimed until 31 July via 'Manage My Bookings' in Eventmaster.
"We know the cancellation is incredibly disappointing news, and we want to thank you for your continued support," organisers said.