3 years ago
Pure and Simple Recipe of the Day: Kale and apple soup with walnuts
A soup full of nutritional goodness.
- 8 walnut halves, broken into pieces
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 red apples, unpeeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 coarsely grated carrots
- 200g kale, roughly chopped
- 500ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- In a dry, non-stick frying pan, cook the walnut pieces for 2-3 mins until toasted, turning frequently so they don’t burn. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the onion, carrots, apples, vinegar and stock into a large saucepan. Bring it to the boil. Recude the heat and allow it to simmer for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onion becomes translucent and the apples start to soften, add the kale and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer contents to a blender and blend untill smooth.
- Pour into bowls and top it off with the toasted walnuts.