Survey reveals some worrying stats about STIs in Ireland
Check yourself before you wreck yourself...
A new study on the sexual health of 500 Irish people has produced some worrying findings.
It revealed that 68% of those surveyed have never had an STI check while 54% have never asked a partner if they'd recently had an STI check.
The survey was conducted by Durex, and even more amazingly, shows the lack of knowledge many Irish people have of STIs.
A good portion, 43%, of the public seem to believe that it's possible to cure genital herpes with prescription medication.
When it comes to warning partners of the possibility of an STI, 38% said they would inform all recent sexual partners if they were at risk, while 37% said that they would only inform their current partner.
Below are some of the key points of the survey:
- 68% have never had an STI check
- Over half (54%) have never asked a new sexual partner if they had recently had an STI check
- More than 1 in 10 (12%) have had an STI scare
- Almost 4 in 10 people (36%) would be too embarrassed to discuss the topic of STIs
- 38% would have the courage to inform all their recent sexual ex-partners of an STI risk
- Majority (53%) admit that pregnancy is the biggest worry when having unprotected sex
- 14% don’t consider having unprotected sex something they worry about
- 43% mistakenly believe genital herpes can be cured with prescribed medication.
While you're here...
Follow on Instagram by clicking here or ON THE GIGANTIC PIC BELOW!
Go on, you know you want to...
Read more about: