Youghal cancels St. Patrick’s Day parade over coronavirus concerns 6 months ago

Youghal cancels St. Patrick’s Day parade over coronavirus concerns

“It is with deep regret that Youghal 4 All has found themselves in the position of having to cancel the St. Patrick’s Day Parade due to our concerns about Covid-19.”

This year’s St. Patrick’s Day parade in the Cork town of Youghal has been cancelled due to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus.

In a statement issued on Friday, organisers Youghal 4 All said that it was with “deep regret” that they took the decision to cancel the parade, which was taken in the “best interests of public health and safety”.

“It is with deep regret that Youghal 4 All has found themselves in the position of having to cancel the St. Patrick’s Day Parade due to our concerns about Covid-19,” the statement read.

“The festivities in Youghal on St. Patrick’s Day have always been well supported and it is a fantastic opportunity to showcase the rich and varied culture of the town.

“Young and old alike throng the streets to watch the parade. Their health and the health of our community is our primary concern. We would like to apologise to the public, clubs, groups, societies and businesses affected by this decision but feel that we must act in the best interests of public health and safety.”

The decision comes after seven new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed in Ireland on Thursday night, including one case in the south of the country that is as a result of community transmission and has no connection with other cases in Ireland, all of which were linked to people travelling from northern Italy.

The patient is currently being treated at Cork University Hospital (CUH), where all outpatient appointments on Friday (6 March) have been cancelled.

On Friday, a case of coronavirus was confirmed at Trinity College in Dublin, while sixth class students at a school in Galway have been advised not to attend the school after it emerged they had been in contact with someone who was infected with Covid-19.

Speaking at a Department of Health briefing on Thursday night, Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer with the Department of Health, said: “Ireland remains in containment phase with just one case of community transmission. This is, however, a rapidly evolving situation. Public health doctors are working hard to ensure our containment measures are operating effectively.”

For more information on conditions, symptoms and treatments for coronavirus, check out the HSE website, while a video explaining how the coronavirus spreads can be accessed here.