New survey reveals the cities with the best quality of living in the world
How many cities in the top ten have you visited?
Eight of the ten cities with the best quality of living in the world are in Europe, according to the 19th annual quality of living survey by Mercer, a global consulting company.
For the eighth year in a row, Vienna was deemed to have the best quality of living of any city in the world, followed by Zurich and Auckland, with Munich and Vancouver making up the top five.
Dusseldorf and Frankfurt in Germany, Geneva and Basel in Switzerland and Copenhagen also warranted inclusion in the top ten, as did Sydney, with Dublin ranking a respectable 34th on the list.
Mercer’s rankings were compiled after local living conditions in more than 450 cities surveyed worldwide are evaluated.
Those living conditions are analysed according to 39 factors, grouped in 10 categories:
- Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.).
- Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services).
- Socio-cultural environment (media availability and censorship, limitations on personal freedom).
- Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.).
- Schools and education (standards and availability of international schools).
- Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.).
- Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc.).
- Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.).
- Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services).
- Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters).
At the bottom end of the rankings, meanwhile, were cities such as Khartoum in Sudan, Port au Price in Haiti, Sana’a in the Republic of Yemen, Bangui in the Central African Republic and Baghdad in Iraq; you can check out the results of the survey in full here.
Hey you! Yeah, YOU! Take a gawk at this...
It's Episode 16 of The JOE Show where you can check out amazing Irish artists Declan Shalvey and Will Sliney, we're joined by the wonderful Wyvern Lingo for the Magic Cover AND they hop on to our sofa for a wee chat, while Dara and Kymann probably need you to call them a doctor because they're tackling Ireland's hottest chicken wings.
Plus, Justine Stafford heads off to Cavan to see if she can be crowned the Queen of Muff, while Shifts team up with the very Saintly Tony Cantwell...
If you want to have the craic in our LIVE Studio Audience, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org
Go on, you know you want to...
Read more about: