The official ten funniest jokes of this year’s Edinburgh fringe have been revealed
You may well be in need of a laugh on a Monday morning.
The funniest joke of the 2018 Edinburgh fringe festival has been crowned. Every year, the public votes on a shortlist of jokes from comedians at the festival, selected by a panel of comedy critics.
And this year, the award was scooped by stand-up Adam Rowe, with a one-liner about being unemployed from his show Undeniable at Just The Tonic at The Caves.
And what was the winning joke, you ask? Here it is. Hang on to your sides.
“Working at the job centre has to be a tense job. Knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day.”
That is pretty good.
So I've won an award!!! @davechannel's Best Joke Of The Fringe 2018!!!
"Working in the job centre has to be a tense job. Knowing if you get sacked, you still have to go in the next day..."
— Adam Rowe (@adamrowecomedy) August 19, 2018
“I’m absolutely over the moon and quite blown away by this,” Rowe said after winning the award. “It’s my favourite joke in the show, as it ends the bit I’m most passionate about; trying to dispel a few myths of what it’s like to be brought up on benefits.
“It’s such a huge honour, I really never expected to be in with a shout of winning things like this, so it’s just a massive but lovely surprise.”
Rowe has been doing stand-up since 2010, and left his job in a bar a year ago to go full-time.
Here is the full list of the top ten funniest jokes at the festival:
1) "Working at the job centre has to be a tense job – knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day." Adam Rowe
2) "I had a job drilling holes for water – it was well boring." Leo Kearse
3) "I took out a loan to pay for an exorcism. If I don’t pay it back, I’m going to get repossessed." Olaf Falafel
4) "In my last relationship I hated being treated like a piece of meat. She was a vegan and refused to touch me." Daniel Audritt
5) "What do colour-blind people do when they are told to eat their greens?" Flo & Joan
6) "I’ve got a new job collecting all the jumpers left in the park at the weekends, but it’s not easy. They keep moving the goalposts." Darren Walsh
7) "Trump said he’d build a wall but he hasn’t even picked up a brick. He’s just another middle-aged man failing on a DIY project." Justin Moorhouse
8=) "I lost a friend after we had an argument about the Tardis. I thought it was a little thing, but it seemed much bigger once we got into it." Adele Cliff
8=) "Why are they calling it Brexit and not The Great British Break Off?" Alex Edelman
10) "I think love is like central heating. You turn it on before guests arrive and pretend it’s like this all the time." Laura Lexx