A nationwide collection of school supplies is taking place for children in Direct Provision
Back to School costs can be particularly difficult for parents living in Ireland’s Direct Provision system.
Mother of three Donnah Vuma established the ‘Every Child is Your Child’ community group along with co-founder Finn Lannon in 2016 to help ease this annual financial burden. Vuma is originally from Zimbabwe but has lived in a direct provision centre in Knockalisheen, County Clare with her children for the past number of years.
This year there are collection points across the country which are taking donations of school supplies until 25 August. They are seeking new backpacks, stationary, copies, lunch bags, white shorts (boys and girls), grey/navy trousers, skirts, socks (white/grey/black), or gift cards (Tesco, Dunnes, One4all).
Adults living in Ireland’s Direct Provision centres are granted a weekly living allowance of €29.80 per child and €38.80 per adult.
Despite the right to work being extended to people seeking asylum last year, additional income is difficult to come by. Considerable challenges still exist when it comes to seeking employment.
In March 2019 it was reported that out of 4,070 adults living in Direct Provision, as little as 1,594 had been granted the right to work. And an even smaller proportion (15%) had successfully found a job.
As a result, for parents of the 2,000 children currently living in Direct Provision centres, donations of school supplies can make a big difference. Check out your closest item collection point from the list below:
- Doras Luimní, Central Buildings, 51a O’Connell Street
- Student Union, University of Limerick Campus
- Irish Refugee Council, 37 Killarney Street, Mountjoy, Dublin 1, D01 NX74
- The Rectory, Main Street, Stradbally
- Teach Solais, Victoria Place Victoria Pl, Galway, H91 FD72
- GARN, 16 Lough Atalia Road, Galway City
- Clare PPN, Clonroad Business Park, Ennis, V95 N62T
- Reception desk, One Albert Quay, Cork T12 X8N6
- Cork Flower Studio, 104 Douglas Street, Cork,