New report shows that we may be in the grip of a "sex recession"
This sounds like the opposite of fun.
If you like sex, then sex is great.
You would think that a lot of people would like sex, but it turns out that we're currently in the grips of a point in time when folk seem to enjoy the thought of sex rather than the actual act of sex itself.
- From 1991 to 2017, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Youth Risk Behavior Survey in the U.S. found the percentage of high-school students who’d had intercourse dropped from 54 to 40 percent.
- In the UK, between 2001 and 2012, under-45s went from having sex more than six times a month to fewer than five times.
- Also in the US, in 1990, the average adult in the US had sex 62 times a year; in 2014, it was 54 times.
- People now in their early 20s are two and a half times as likely to be abstinent as Gen Xers were at that age; 15 percent report having had no sex since they reached adulthood.
- In Japan, in 2015, 43% of people aged 18 to 34 were virgins. Similar drops in sexual activity have also been noted in Australia, Finland, and the Netherlands.
One of the bigger contributors to the above is that about 60% of adults under the age of 35 now live without a spouse or a partner, with one in three adults in this age range live with their parents.
We don't need to tell you that living with your parents will usually put a big dent in your sex life, but living with a partner will usually spike the amount of sex you have, and the reasons why younger folk aren't coupling up is also a hot topic for consideration.
Access to online porn is said to maybe helped "take the edge off" actually wanting to have sex, while online dating, plus the Economist/YouGov poll from November 2017 last year found that 17% of Americans aged 18 to 29 believed that a man asking a woman out for a drink "always" or "usually" constituted sexual harassment, which may be leading to folk being actually frightened to make the first move.
So there you have it. If you think you're not having as much as sex as your friends, don't worry about it.
They're not having much sex, either.