19 supersonic reasons Oasis fans will love their new documentary
Even if you were on the Blur side, you're going to want to watch this film...
“It is a big question… and it deserves a big answer”.
Noel Gallagher’s quest to explain how, in three short years, Oasis ruled the world and transcended music to become a cultural phenomenon.
Directed by Mat Whitecross, Supersonic is the rags-to-riches story about ignoring industry indifference to reap the ultimate rewards… and then some.
The documentary is airing in the Light House Cinema in Dublin on Sunday 2 October with the general Irish release set for Friday 7 October.
For those of you who haven’t seen the following, here’s the ball-achingly sweet trailer…
Clip via Entertainment One UK
And trust us, the documentary itself lives up to the massive expectation.
With intimate (and frankly unbelievable) archive footage from the band’s early days, right through to their unprecedented success, mixed with present-day narration from all the main players, Supersonic is as wild as you’d expect from a band that were always mad for it.
To get you nicely buzzin’, here are 19 little Supersonic snippets to whet the appetite of every Oasis superfan ahead of the big release.
1. LIAM’S ANECDOTE ABOUT HOW HE GOT INTO MUSIC IS RIDICULOUS
As a teenager, he was “suspect” of music until he took a hammer to the head during a fight and re-emerged obsessed with becoming a rock star.
Noel’s typically sharp one-liner response to this story is priceless.
2. SPEAKING OF, THE MOST PROLIFIC SONGWRITER OF HIS GENERATION WAS SACKED FOR BEING TOO LAZY IN HIS FIRST JOB IN MUSIC
Inspiral Carpets hired young Noel as a roadie and it didn’t end well, but the story is predictably brilliant.
Luckily, Mark Coyle was also shown the door, who Noel would take on as a producer for Oasis and who proved to be instrumental in their success.
3. THE INITIAL RECORDING OF 'DEFINITELY MAYBE' SOUNDED PRETTY AWFUL
It played like a wedding band album… and not a good one. Fans who have never heard this specific recording will be in for a shock.
Enter a chap called Owen Morris to save the day and help create music history.
4. THE SONG CHOICES THROUGHOUT THE DOCUMENTARY ARE ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON
From such a vast catalogue, the use of ‘Columbia’ is a particular goosebump-inducing highlight.
Clip via cumonfeelthenoize1
5. ONLY ONE OASIS SONG FROM THE POST-BRITPOP ERA IS PLAYED AND YOU’LL NEVER GUESS WHICH ONE…
Clip via zikrett
6. THE BAND’S LIVE REACTION TO ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS PREMIER LEAGUE MOMENTS IN HISTORY IS CAPTURED
And every member of the band is happy, except one!
Clip via Matthew Bragg
7. THE NEW OASIS ROADIE’S FIRST DAY ON THE JOB INVOLVED A FERRY TRIP TO AMSTERDAM, A MASS BRAWL, WEST HAM FANS, THE BAND’S INCARCERATION AND ONE VERY ANGRY MANAGER
That’s one way to show the new fella the ropes.
8. LIAM DOES A MEAN IMPRESSION OF BOYZONE BACKSTAGE BEFORE A GIG
9. NOEL WROTE THE WORDS TO ‘SUPERSONIC’ IN THE TIME IT TOOK THE REST OF THE BAND TO EAT A CHINESE TAKEAWAY
Tasty enough, to be fair.
Clip via stockholmparkas
10. THE GANG ACCIDENTALLY TOOK CRYSTAL METH THINKING IT WAS COCAINE BEFORE TAKING TO THE STAGE IN AMERICA
The shambolic performance is shown in the documentary and it’s quite something.
11. … THIS RESULTED IN NOEL GOING AWOL IN THE US FOR A FEW DAYS, WHICH INSPIRED HIM TO WRITE THIS GEM…
Clip via Valandil90
12. WE LEARN THAT THIS WAS NOEL’S FIRST EVER TV INTERVIEW
Clearly, he needed to work on his confidence a bit here!
Clip via Norris Karloff
That’s right up there with their first ever TV performance, on Mark Lamarr’s The Word.
13. THE BAND’S TREATMENT OF ORIGINAL DRUMMER TONY MCCARROLL IS APPALLING AND ACTS AS THE LOW POINT IN THE DOCUMENTARY
14. THEIR REACTION TO BASSIST GUIGSY TEMPORARILY LEAVING THE BAND IS PRETTY RUTHLESS AS WELL
His replacement, Scott McLeod, didn’t fare much better either.
Clip via Oasis
Still, he appeared in one of the most recognisable music videos ever made.
15. THEIR FIRST TRIP TO JAPAN - COMPARED TO THEIR MAIDEN VOYAGE IN AMERICA - COULDN’T HAVE BEEN MORE DIFFERENTLY RECEIVED
Japanese fans worshipped the ground they walked on, but their US counterparts were fairly apathetic.
The contrast makes for fascinating viewing.
16. THEY SINGLE OUT THEIR GIGS IN THE POINT IN DUBLIN AS BEING ESPECIALLY EMOTIONAL THANKS TO THEIR IRISH ROOTS
Here’s Noel appearing on The Late Late Show directly afterwards…
Clip via Oasis Best Videos
17. A VERY UNWELCOME FIGURE FROM THEIR PAST SHOWS UP IN DUBLIN AFTER THESE GIGS AND THREATENS TO RUIN THE PARTY
18. NOEL CREDITS HIS IRISH MOTHER’S LIFE-CHANGING DECISION AS HIS AVENUE INTO MUSIC
The regular beatings Noel received from his father growing up inspired the elder brother.
Clip via Nisky2
We’re thankful he chose this path, as his songs have been the anthems for many a great occasion down the years.
19. YOU’LL BE LEFT EQUALLY INSPIRED AND SHATTERED BY THE END
Whether it’s Noel admitting that Liam is cooler than him, sibling brawls involving baseball bats, or the sheer scale of their rise, you’ll be belting out their classics all the way home after this emotional rollercoaster.
Clip via NoelG.tv
You'll love it.