Chris Rock says he turned down offer to host next year's Oscars after Will Smith slap
The comedian joked about the offer at one of his recent shows.
Chris Rock has said he has turned down an offer to host the Oscars in 2023 after being slapped by Will Smith while on stage during this year's ceremony.
According to Arizona Republic, the comedian referenced the now infamous altercation during a show in Phoenix last Sunday.
Rock told his audience that returning to the Oscars would be akin to returning to the scene of a crime, adding that it would be like asking Nicole Brown Simpson “to go back to the restaurant”.
The comedian also stated that the slap from Smith hurt, referencing how the actor had previously played boxer Muhammad Ali in a movie.
“He’s bigger than me. The state of Nevada would not sanction a fight between me and Will Smith," Rock reportedly said.
Smith hit Rock at this year's Oscars in March after the comedian made a joke at the expense of Smith's wife, Jada Pinkett Smith.
Jada has a shaved head following a diagnosis of alopecia, which she made public in 2018.
"Jada, I love you. GI Jane 2, can't wait to see it," Rock jibed.
The original GI Jane starred Demi Moore playing the role of a US Navy SEAL, in which she sported a shaved head.
Last month, Smith posted a video online in which he addressed slapping Rock.
In the clip, he noted that he had reached out to the comedian but had been rebuffed.
"I've reached out to Chris and the message that came back is that he's not ready to talk," Smith said at the time.
"When he is, he will reach out. So, I will say to you, Chris, I apologise to you. My behaviour was unacceptable and I'm here whenever you're ready to talk."