Fair City is bidding farewell to an iconic character
The much-loved character was involved in many major storylines.
Having patrolled the streets of Carrigstown as Detective John Deegan for over 20 years, Fair City star Tommy O’Neill has announced he is leaving the show.
During his time on the RTÉ soap throughout the past two decades, O'Neill's much-loved character Deegan was involved in a number of major storylines and investigations. These included Ciaran's kidnap of Katy, Cristiano's domestic abuse and Karne and Will's murders.
At one point during the show, the officer was promoted to Detective Inspector but wound up stepping back down after realising he was happier as a community Garda. He later retired from the force in May 2022.
Tommy O'Neill as Detective John Deegan on Fair City
Speaking about exiting Fair City, O’Neill said in a statement:
"It wasn't an easy decision to leave, but I will always treasure my time on Fair City and the incredible cast and crew that I have worked with over the last two decades, who have given me so many amazing memories and lifelong friendships."
Meanwhile, Fair City's executive producer added:
“Tommy O'Neill has been a force for joy since his first days on Fair City. He has made John Deegan into a uniquely loveable character, and he will be hugely missed by the cast, crew and writers. We all wish him well in the next adventure.”
- Rotten Tomatoes reveals what was the biggest and best movie on its site since its creation
- 10 years ago, the makers of Trainspotting reunited for a supremely underrated thriller
- Christopher Nolan's upcoming blockbuster Oppenheimer is reportedly going to be very long
- New trailer released for Tommy Wiseau's follow-up to The Room
- Bella Ramsey reveals when fans of The Last of Us can expect the second season
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are making Cillian Murphy's new movie which is filming in Ireland
- You can finally watch one of 2022's very best movies at home