The Rock has a very blunt response to Vin Diesel's invitation to return for Fast 10
The Rock called Diesel's invitation "an example of his manipulation."
A month or so back, Vin Diesel took to Instagram to publicly invite Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson back in the fold for the upcoming Fast & Furious 10.
Johnson hasn't starred on-screen with Diesel in the franchise since Fast & Furious 8, when he veered off into the Hobbs & Shaw spin-off with Jason Statham.
You can check out our full oral history of their beef since then right here:
An oral history of the beef between Vin Diesel and The Rock. Or, at least, the start of it! Watch the full episode of The Big Reviewski on YouTube to hear the full story with @chicagotownire #ad pic.twitter.com/gnhxddtaPw
— JOE.ie (@JOEdotie) November 13, 2021
However, during a recent interview with CNN, Johnson put his thoughts about returning to work with Diesel very bluntly, saying:
"I was very surprised by Vin's recent post. This past June, when Vin and I actually connected not over social media, I told him directly - and privately - that I would not be returning to the franchise.
"I was firm yet cordial with my words and said that I would always be supportive of the cast and always root for the franchise to be successful, but that there was no chance I would return. I privately spoke with my partners at Universal as well, all of whom were very supportive as they understand the problem.
"Vin's recent public post was an example of his manipulation. I didn't like that he brought up his children in the post, as well as Paul Walker's death. Leave them out of it. We had spoken months ago about this and came to a clear understanding. My goal all along was to end my amazing journey with this incredible Fast & Furious franchise with gratitude and grace. It's unfortunate that this public dialogue has muddied the waters.
"Regardless, I'm confident in the 'Fast' universe and its ability to consistently deliver for the audience, and I truly wish my former co-stars and crew members the best of luck and success in the next chapter."
Johnson is currently still signed on for Hobbs & Shaw 2 with Jason Statham, who (slight spoilers) appeared in the mid-credits sequence of Fast & Furious 9, indicating that Statham will be rejoining the main series for the tenth outing.
At the time of writing, Fast & Furious 10: Part One is due to arrive in cinemas in May 2023, with Part Two rumoured to arrive in 2024, while Hobbs & Shaw 2 has no current set release date.