The public has voted for Ireland's Greatest Song Lyric Ever
You voted, and Today FM counted 'em up.
To help celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show launched a campaign to find Ireland's Greatest Song Lyric Ever, and listeners voted in their thousands.
Big acts such as The Frames, The Saw Doctors, Declan O’Rourke, The Corrs and Sinead O’Connor just missed out on the list, which may come as a surprise to some.
Personally, we're shocked that B*Witched's genre defining "I got a house with windows and doors / I'll show you mine if you show me yours" from 'C'Est La Vie' didn't make the cut, but that's an argument for another day.
Clip via BwitchedVEVO
Today they announced the clear winner, but before we get to that, here were the rest of the top ten:
10. Christy Moore - 'The Voyage': "Life is an ocean and love is a boat, in troubled water that keeps us afloat"
9. U2 - 'One': "Love is a temple, love the higher law. You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl"
8. An Emotional Fish - 'Celebrate': "Celebrate! This party’s over, I’m going home..."
7. The Pogues – 'Fairytale of New York': "You took my dreams from me, when I first found you. I kept them with me babe, I put them with my own, can't make it all alone, I've built my dreams around you."
6. Hothouse Flowers – 'Don’t Go': "There's smell of fresh cut grass and it's filling up my senses and the sun is shining down on the blossoms in the avenue"
5. Sultans Of Ping – 'Where’s My Jumper?': "Dancing in the disco bumper to bumper, wait a minute, where's me jumper?"
4. The Stunning – 'Brewing Up A Storm': "Give it to me raw, I'll take it home, cook it myself."
3. Bellx1 – 'The Great Defector': "You’re the chocolate at the end of my Cornetto."
2. The Pogues – 'Rainy Night In Soho': "And you're the measure of my dreams. The measure of my dreams"
And at Number One... (drum roll please)....
Bellx1 – 'Rocky Took A Lover': "I don't believe in any old Jesus. If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?"
Clip via Today FM
Bellx1's frontman Paul Noonan joined the show this morning to accept the accolade, and talked to Ian about how Ireland's unique way with words the primary reason why the lyrics from our country are so feckin' good!
Still though..... #Justice4B*Witched!