Try not to be alarmed, but the 2017 Eurovision song contest could be under threat
As Johnny Logan might say: “Hold me now.”
21 members of the organising committee for the 2017 Eurovision song contest in Kiev in Ukraine have resigned, just three months before the contest is scheduled to take place in May.
The 21 members of the committee added their signatures to an open letter outlining the reasons for their resignation, claiming that they were completely blocked from making important decisions about the organisation of the event following the appointment of a new boss shortly before Christmas.
According to the BBC, the Ukraine Public Broadcaster (UA:PBC) have been told by EBU, the company that founded the Eurovision, to “stick to the timeline” regarding the organisation of the event, which Ukraine won the right to host following the victory of Ukrainian singer Jamala at last year’s contest.
In a statement, the EBU said: "We have reiterated to UA:PBC the importance of a speedy and efficient implementation of plans already agreed, despite staff changes and that we stick to the timeline and milestones that have been established and approved by the Reference Group to ensure a successful Contest in May."
The Eurovision song contest gets underway in Kiev on May 9, with Galway man Brendan Murray, formerly of boyband Hometown, having been selected to represent Ireland at this year’s event.
The resignation of so many staff members is bound to put pressure on Ukraine to deliver the goods in time, but if all doesn’t go to plan, it’s not as if they will be the first country to encounter Eurovision problems…
Clip via RTÉ Player International