70-year-old man has died after car drives through crowd outside Belfast cemetery 2 years ago

70-year-old man has died after car drives through crowd outside Belfast cemetery

Two more men are still in a critical condition.

As reported by the PSNI earlier on Saturday, a number of people have been injured after a man drove through a crowd outside a cemetery in Belfast.

Advertisement

On Saturday evening, the PSNI released an update on the situation, confirming that one of the men had died from their injuries.

Chief Inspector Gary Raid said: "Three men were struck by a stolen Vauxhall Vectra outside the city cemetery just after midday. 70-year-old Seamus Conlon has sadly passed away and two other men are still being treated in hospital. Their conditions are described as serious."

A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a number of offences including causing death by dangerous driving, and driving when unfit. He remains in custody at present.

The Whiterock Road is closed at present to traffic while police examine the scene.

Local Sinn Féin councillor Michael Donnelly told RTE News: "This is a very serious incident. Three people from our community and from well respected families have been caught up in this. There is real sadness and anger in our community."