91 confirmed dead and hundreds injured after earthquake in Indonesia 9 months ago

91 confirmed dead and hundreds injured after earthquake in Indonesia

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck the popular tourist destinations of Lombok and Bali on Sunday evening.

It has now been confirmed that 91 people have died and over 200 are seriously injured by national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho. The northern area of the island of Lombok, in particular, has suffered "massive" damage, he said.

There have been over 130 aftershocks since the tremors hit on Sunday evening and rescuers continue to search the rubble for trapped survivors.

Thousands of buildings in the islands have collapsed completely, including mosques, houses and schools.

"People panicked and scattered on the streets, and buildings and houses that had been damaged by the previous earthquake had become more damaged and collapsed."

"There are challenges: the roads were damaged, three bridges were also damaged, some locations are difficult to reach and we don't have enough personnel," Sutopo said of the ongoing rescue operation.

Local disaster officials are attempting to evacuate around 1,200 tourists from the nearby Gili islands a few kilometres north of Lombok.

Nugroho has also confirmed that up to 20,000 people may have been evacuated from their homes on Lombok, which was the worst hit of the two popular tourist destinations, and that paramedics, food and medication were desperately needed on the island.

At least one person has been confirmed dead in Bali.

The quake was felt 150 kilometres (93 miles) away in Denpasar and follows a magnitude 6.4 that struck in the same area and killed 17 people only a week ago. A tsunami warning was initially issued before being withdrawn by the Indonesian meteorology service.