Gardaí investigating reported death of 85-year-old man in bed fire in Dublin hospital 3 years ago

Gardaí investigating reported death of 85-year-old man in bed fire in Dublin hospital

The incident occurred on Christmas Eve.

Reports say that a man has died after lighting a cigarette in a hospital bed, causing his oxygen tank to explode.

Advertisement

Speaking to JOE, the Garda Press Office said:

"Gardaí are investigating the death of man in his 80's that occurred following a fire related incident at a hospital in Rathgar, Dublin 6. This occurred on Christmas Eve at approximately 5:30am.

"The man received serious injuries in the incident and was taken to St. James Hospital where he later passed away.

"The scene has been preserved for a technical examination however the incident is not believed to be suspicious at this time. HIQA have been notified."

Advertisement

According to the Irish Daily Mirror (via Irish Daily Mail), the 85-year-old man is believed to have lit a cigarette in the early hours of Monday morning in St Luke's Hospital in Rathgar.

His oxygen tank then exploded and his bed caught fire.

Two nurses, along with two other patients who were in the ward, were also reportedly taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.