Kilmainham Gaol named as one of the world's top attractions
By Katy Thornton.
The famous site is getting the worldwide recognition it deserves.
Ireland’s Kilmainham Gaol Museum has been named the world's 13th top attraction. With over 27,000 Tripadvisor reviews, the former jail was named by reviewers from across the world as a ‘must see’ and ‘moving’ and ‘insightful’ experience.
Kilmainham Gaol's incredible place in Irish history means it comes as no surprise to us that it would rank so highly.
The Dublin visitor site is in good company. Global attractions like the Colosseum in Rome, the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, and The Dubai Fountain in the UAE also appear on the list of the world's top attractions.
La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona was crowned the top tourist attraction worldwide.
For Ireland's top attractions, Kilmainham Gaol took the number one spot, with Dublin spots The Little Museum, 14 Henrietta Street, and The Irish Rock n Roll Experience following in second, third, and fourth place respectively.
The Cliffs of Moher came fifth, followed by Nano Nagle Place in Cork, and Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin. St Stephen's Green, the Irish Whiskey Museum, and Spike Island ranked 8th, 9th, and 10th respectively.
Kilmainham Gaol opens daily and is accessible by guided tour only. You can pre-book your tickets on their website.
- Dave Fanning's comments during Christy Dignam tribute on RTÉ spark controversy
- Netflix film crew attacked by sharks during Our Planet II shoot
- Dermot Kennedy urged to apologise after using offensive term in interview
- Arctic Monkeys release statement after cancelling their Dublin gig set for this week
- Stephen Kenny calls out journalist for ‘absolutely terrible’ disrespect
Originally published on Lovin' Dublin.