Man dies after vape pen explodes and lodges shrapnel in his skull 2 months ago

Man dies after vape pen explodes and lodges shrapnel in his skull

It is believed to be the first US death from a vape pen explosion.

A man has died after a vape pen exploded and lodged fragments into his skull, a post-mortem examination has found.

Tallmadge D’Elia also suffered burns to over 80% of his body after the fire on 5 May that was caused by an exploding e-cigarette, according to forensic officials.

The Tampa Bay Times have reported that Mr D’Elia was discovered by firefighters in the burning bedroom of his family home. The official post-mortem report states that the exploding e-cigarette had "sent two pieces of the vape pen into his cranium".

The official cause of death was announced as a "projectile wound of head." The report also said that the 38-year-old suffered "thermal injuries," or burns, to roughly 80% of his body.

Advertisement

One of the pieces that was removed from his head featured the logo of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, which is a company that's based in the Philippines.

In a statement that was released to ABC Action News, Smok-E Mountain Mech Works said that their "devices do not explode, instead telling us (ABC) it is likely an atomizer (the part a person inserts into their mouth) or a battery issue."