Pic: Look at what a snake bite did to a teenage girl’s leg in South America (Very graphic content)
Seriously, if you’re the squeamish type, look away now.
We don’t think anyone needs to be warned about how dangerous it can be to be bitten by a snake, but just in case they do, proof has arrived in the form of one of the most gruesome pictures we’ve ever seen.
According to juventudmedica on Instagram, the victim of the bite was a 13-year old girl, who after being bitten by the snake was initially treated using remedies from her indigenous culture before eventually being brought to Caracas in Venezuela for medical treatment.
By that stage, her leg was in a terrible state as the venom from the snake bite had caused severe necrosis, the premature death of cells.
In case you didn’t heed our earlier warning, brace yourself before looking at the picture below because it is not something you’ll forget in a hurry.
Paciente femenina de 13 años, un mes de evolución. Necrosis posterior a emponzoñamiento ofídico (mordedura de serpiente). Se le realizó una AP supracondilea. La paciente luego de presentar la mordedura, presenta daño vascular, sindrome compartimental que no se trata, por lo que evoluciona a una necrosis limitada a los compartimientos de la pierna. Por se una indígena utilizó tratamientos de su cultura, acudiendo a la ciudad un mes después del accidente con la serpiente. by @drmorenocastillo. #medicina #juventudmedica
A doctor who has seen the photo told MailOnline that the girl will need her leg amputated and may die from the snake venom.
Dr Arun Ghosh, a private GP in Liverpool, told MailOnline: “Snake venom is very complicated and depends on the species of snake.
“But the picture shows clearly severe tissue necrosis that will need amputation, though she still may die from this due to the nature of the poison.”