Two police officers shot during Breonna Taylor protests in Louisville 2 years ago

Two police officers shot during Breonna Taylor protests in Louisville

A 72-hour curfew, which applies between the hours of 9pm and 6.30am, is in place in Louisville and all of Jefferson County.

Two police officers were shot and injured during protests in Louisville in Kentucky on Wednesday night after it was decided by a grand jury that no officers would be charged for the killing of unarmed black woman Breonna Taylor in March.


At a grand jury hearing on Wednesday, one officer, Brett Hankison, was charged, but not with an offence in relation to the killing of Breonna Taylor. Instead, Hankison was charged with "wanton endangerment" for firing into a neighbour's apartment in Louisville.

The decision not to charge any officers involved in Taylor’s death prompted mass protests in Louisville on Wednesday night, resulting in the shooting of two police officers.

Speaking at a press briefing on Wednesday night, Interim Police Chief Robert Schroeder said that both officers are in a stable condition in hospital and that one suspect is in custody.

The Louisville Metropolitan Police Department has appealed to the public for information in relation to the shootings and to submit the information to the Louisville branch of the FBI.


In the aftermath of the shootings on Wednesday night, US President Donald Trump tweeted: “Praying for the two police officers that were shot tonight in Louisville, Kentucky.

“The Federal Government stands behind you and is ready to help. Spoke to @GovAndyBeshear and we are prepared to work together, immediately upon request!”


He later posted a tweet which read: LAW & ORDER!


Breonna Taylor, 26, was shot at least five times in her apartment in March after police entered using a so-called "no-knock" arrest warrant, which does not require them to announce themselves.

"No-knock" warrants are typically used in drugs cases where police are worried evidence may be destroyed before they can enter a premises.

She and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, were awoken by the police executing the warrant late at night in March and Walker has said he fired once at the officers thinking it was an intruder in their apartment.

No drugs were found in their home.


Earlier this month, the city of Louisville reached a $12 million settlement in a civil suit from Breonna Taylor’s family.

Announcing the settlement at a news conference, Louisville mayor Greg Fischer said: "I cannot begin to imagine Ms Palmer's pain, and I am deeply, deeply sorry for Breonna's death."