The RNLI release a very important and powerful message about water safety
Everyone should take note of this advice...
Irish and UK waters are cold enough to kill, even in the summer months, and the Royal National Lifeboat Insititution (RNLI) have released a video showing the importance of not panicking if you enter these icy waters.
The 'Float To Live' video offers advice to people on what they should do if they fall unexpectedly into cold water.
Around 190 people accidentally die at the British and Irish coasts each year, with around half never intending to go into the water in the first place.
The powerful video outlines the most common mistakes people make when they enter the water unexpectedly.
They advise the following...
- Fight your first instinct to panic or swim hard.
- Lean back in the water to keep your airway clear.
- Push your stomach up, extending your arms and legs.
- Gently move your hands and feet to help you float
- In 60-90 seconds you'll be able to control your breathing