A second Irish climber has died on Mount Everest
Very sad news.
A second Irish climber has died Mount Everest in just over a week.
According to expedition organisers, Kevin Hynes died while attempting to climb the mountain from the Tibetan side early on Friday morning.
It's understood that the 56-year-old father of two is originally from Galway.
"It is with the greatest sadness that we have to confirm that one of our Everest team has passed away," 360 Expeditions said in a statement.
"Kevin was one of the strongest and most experienced climbers on our team, and had previously summited Everest South and Lhotse."
It's understood that Kevin had reached Camp III at 8,300 m on Wednesday but while the summit climbers were heading higher, Kevin started his descent.
"He was accompanied by experienced guide, Dawa Sangee, who himself has summited Everest South twice, Everest North and Makalu twice,” 360 Expeditions said.
"Kevin passed away in his tent at the North Col at 7,000m in the early hours (Nepali time) of 24 May.
"His wonderful wife, Bernadette and two children, Erin and James are comforted by all the communication that Kevin sent out from his expedition, letting them know that, 'this was proving the most fun he had had on any one of his expeditions and the team was amazing and that he was loving being with Rolfe'.
"We thank everyone for your understanding and respect in the light of this tragic event. Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with all Kevin’s family and his friends. He really was a wonderful man and it was a great privilege to have him on our team."
The death of Kevin Hynes is the second Irish tragedy on the world's highest mountain in a week as Wicklow man Seamus Lawless fell while descending the mountain last Thursday.
Searches are still ongoing to locate his body and a GoFundMe page has been set up to help with the search efforts.