Young Irish people can now apply for 12,000 free European travel passes
The European Commission on Thursday launched a second DiscoverEU competition.
DiscoverEU is an initiative that allows young people around Europe to apply for a Inter Railing free travel pass for the summer.
Earlier this year, 15,000 free passes were handed out to 18-year-olds across the 28 EU member states and following on from this, even more are being made available.
From now until Tuesday, 11 December young people aged 18 from Ireland and across the EU can apply for one of the 12,000 travel passes to discover Europe next summer.
To apply for the free pass you have to be 18 years old on December 31, 2018 and you have to be a national of one of the EU member states.
Speaking on the launch of the second DiscoverEU competition, Ireland South MEP Deirdre Clune said: "I am delighted that more tickets are being made available so that young Irish people can discover Europe.
"The scheme was a huge success this summer with thousands of Irish people applying for tickets and with more tickets now being made available it means more people can avail of the scheme.
"The scheme is a great way to help young Irish people learn about and see other EU countries. There is so much to learn across Europe and a scheme such as this is very welcome in helping young people as they learn and develop.
"It is great to see so much interest from young people in the scheme and I would encourage the creation of more schemes like this."
You can only apply if you:
- are 18 years old on 31 December 2018, i.e. those young people born between 1 January 2000 (included) and 31 December 2000 (included)
- have the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Union at the time of the award decision (to be expected by mid-January 2019)
- fill in your correct ID or passport number on the online application form
If awarded, you can only travel if you:
- start your journey in a country which is a Member State of the European Union at the time of the award decision
- plan to travel between 1 day and up to one month
- plan to travel between 15 April 2019 (first departure date) and 31 October 2019 (last return date)
- plan to travel to at least one foreign country which is a Member State of the European Union at the time of the award decision
- are willing to become a DiscoverEU Ambassador